WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team dropped its home opener to Shenandoah University, 78-69, here Sunday night in the Field House on Padden Court.
Gallaudet (0-5) chased the lead against Shenandoah (2-1) for the majority of the game. GU cut the Hornet lead to one, 55-54, at the 9:22 mark on a layup made by senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) and later took its first lead of the second half. Freshman guard Preston Kelly (Fishers, Ind.) made a jump shot to give the Bison a 58-57 advantage with 7:38 left in regulation.
Shenandoah responded with an 11-0 run over the next two minutes to take a 10-point lead, 68-58, and never looked back.
Shenandoah was led by Kwa McDonald's 23-point game to go with eight rebounds, six steals, two blocks and two assists. Guard Jonah Meredith added 17 points while Christopher Chaney chipped in 13 to go with 10 rebounds for the double-double.
The Hornets led 38-34 at the half.
- Junior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) and freshman center Lance Wood (Fishers, Ind.) grabbed a team best eight rebounds
- Jackson passed out a team-high four assists
- Valencia had a team best three steals
- Cruz made the lone block for GU
- The game had nine lead changes and five ties
- GU scored 32 points in the paints had 18 second-chance points
- The Bison held a 43-41 edge in rebounds
- Shenandoah's bench outscored Gallaudet's 48-12
Gallaudet will next begin conference play on Wednesday night (Nov. 29) against Penn St.-Berks (0-5) at home.