SPOKANE, Wash. - Gallaudet University started its Pacific Northwest trip with a Friday night game at the Whitworth Fieldhouse against Whitworth University. The host Pirates defeated the Bison, 92-56, in the late-night game that concluded past 1 a.m. on Saturday morning for those following the contest on the East Coast.
Gallaudet (0-2) went on a 12-0 run to cut Whitworth's lead to 67-54 with 7:49 left in the second half. Whitworth (2-0) responded with a 23-0 run during a five-minute stretch to put the game away. GU didn't make a field goal the rest of the game.
The Bison were led by senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) who scored 11 points, grabbed seven rebounds to go with two blocks, two steals and two assists. Junior Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) was the second-leading scorer for the Bison with nine points as he made 3 of 3 shots from 3-point range.
Whitworth (2-0) was led by Ben College's career-high 31 points as he made 9 of 13 shots from 3-point range. Jordan Lester was one assist shy of a triple-double as he scored 13 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and nine assists.
The Pirates led 46-28 at the half.
- Junior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) scored seven points and grabbed five rebounds
- Freshman center Lance Wood (Fishers, Ind.) contributed six points and four rebounds off the bench
- Kelly was second on the team with six rebounds
- Whitworth made half of its shots (34-for-68)
- GU shot 29.7 percent from the field (19 of 64)
- The Pirates held a 46-38 rebound edge
- The Bison scored 22 points in the paint
Gallaudet will travel three hours south to Walla Walla, Wash., to Whitman College (1-0) on Saturday, Nov. 18, for a 10 p.m. (EST) game against the No. 1 ranked team in Division III.