CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Gallaudet University lost out on improving its North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) men's basketball tournament seeding here Wednesday night as the Bison lost 96-60 to Wilson College.
Gallaudet (8-16, 7-8 NEAC) was vying for a chance to host a conference tournament game next Tuesday night but with the loss the Bison will hit the road. Wilson (18-6, 12-3 NEAC) is locked into the No. 2 seed in the South Division and may host Gallaudet next week depending on what happens Saturday in the regular-season finale for the buff and blue.
Wilson jumped out to an early lead and used an 11-0 run to break open the game. The Phoenix led 43-30 at the half. It was more of the same in the second half where the Phoenix outscored the Bison, 53-30.
Senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) and freshman Preston Kelly (Fishers, Ind.) led the Bison with 10 points each. Cruz grabbed eight rebounds, made two blocks and two assists while Kelly ripped down seven boards and passed out two assists.
Six different Phoenix players scored in double figures led by a trio of players, who scored 14 points each.
- Sophomore guard Trace Martin (Shingle Springs, Calif.) scored eight points off the bench
- Sophomore guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) finished with five points, five rebounds, three assists
- Junior guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) chipped in seven points
- Gallaudet held a 42-37 edge in rebounds
- Wilson scored 28 points off 17 GU turnovers
- GU's bench scored 24 points
- Wilson sweeps the season series
Gallaudet will host Penn St.- Abington (10-12, 8-7 NEAC) in a conference game on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 2 p.m. The game will also mark Senior Day. GU won the first match-up vs. Penn St.-Abington by five points, 72-67, last month.