WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team won its second straight game at home here Wednesday night as the Bison defeated the College of Saint Elizabeth by four points, 83-79, on Padden Court in the Field House in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division contest.
Gallaudet (4-15, 4-7 NEAC) led for the majority of the game as St. Elizabeth (10-8, 5-5 NEAC) was only able to tie the game four times but never got the lead. GU led 41-27 at the half and scored 42 points in the second half.
Four different Bison finished in double figures led by junior center Steve Valencia-Biskupiak (Riverside, Calif.), who recorded a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds. He added three assists, one steal and the team's only block shot. Junior Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) and sophomore Preston Kelly (Fishers, Ind.) scored 17 points each while Kelly grabbed nine rebounds, passed out a game-high six assists and made four steals. Freshman guard Corey Smith (Miami, Fla.) came off the bench to net 14 points, seven rebounds, a game-high five steals, and two assists.
The Eagles were led by guard Jason Saldiveri's 28-point game as he added eight rebounds, made a game-high four blocks, three assists and one steal.
- Sophomore Shawn Daniels (Lakeland, Fla.) added six points, four rebounds
- Senior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) compiled four points, five rebounds and two assists
- The two teams combined for 42 fouls and 54 free-throw attempts
- CSE scored 26 points off 21 turnovers
- The two teams split the season series
- CSE won, 96-83, three weeks ago (Jan. 9)
- GU went 3-5 during the month of January
- Gallaudet is now 4-4 in the Field House this season
Gallaudet will play host to Cazenovia College (10-9, 6-5 NEAC) this Saturday, Feb. 2, at 4 p.m. This is Alumni Madness Day for the Bison basketball programs, more information about the various activities can be found here - www.gallaudetathletics.com/news/2018-19/guaabballmadness.