WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University's men's basketball team lost the opening round of the Battle of D.C. & Maryland Tournament here Saturday evening to St. Mary's College of Maryland, 73-55, in front of 432 in the Field House.
Gallaudet (0-3) will now face The Catholic University of America (0-2) in tomorrow's consolation game. The Cardinals lost to Hood College (3-1) in the other opening round game, 86-74.
St. Mary's (1-3) led for over 36 minutes in the game that featured four early lead changes and one tie. The visiting Seahawks led 35-26 at the half and led by as much as 22 points in the second half.
Bison freshman guard Corey Smith (Miami, Fla.) scored a career best 16 points as he made 6 of 10 shots from the field, including two 3-pointers to go with five rebounds. Junior guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) was held scoreless, for the first time in his career, after he went for 45 points in GU's last game. Senior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) came off the bench to score six points and grab a team-high eight rebounds.
The Seahawks were led by Matt Ayoub's 24-point game as he made six 3-pointers and Jordan Alston knocked down two 3-pointers to tally 10 points, six rebounds, three steals and two assists. Guard Phil Newsome pulled down a game-high 15 rebounds to go with eight points, three steals and three assists. SMC played 17 players, who suited up, in the game.
- Six different Bison scored five or more points
- Junior center Steve Valencia-Biskupiak (Riverside, Calif.) made a game-high three blocks
- Valencia went 0-for-13 from the field but passed out four assists, made three steals and three rebounds
- The Seahawks held a 51-42 rebound edge
- Both team scored 26 points in the paint
- SMC scored 20 points off 17 GU turnovers
- The Seahawks scored 21 points on fast break chances and 19 second-chance points
Gallaudet will face Catholic in the consolation game tomorrow (Sunday, Nov. 18) at 1 p.m. followed by the championship game featuring St. Mary's vs. Hood at 3 p.m.