WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team ventured out-of-conference here Tuesday night and played host to Widener University on Padden Court in the Field House. The Bison came up short as they lost by 15 points, 80-65.
Gallaudet (4-17) trailed the entire game as Widener (12-10) outscored the host 39-28 in the first half and 41-37 in the second half.
The Bison were paced by junior guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) as he scored a game-high 20 points as he made 5 of 8 shots from the field, including three 3-pointers. Freshman guard Corey Smith (Miami, Fla.) came off the bench to add 11 points.
Widener (12-10) was led by Connor Laverty and Elijah Boyd who scored 17 and 12 points, respectively.
- Freshman John Werner Jr. (Frederick, Md.) tallied a career best eight points
- Sophomore Wilford Troup (Snellville, Ga.) recorded a season best six points
- Sophomore Preston Kelly (Fishers, Ind.) added four points, four rebounds and four assists
- GU played 13 players in uniform on Tuesday night
- Nine Bison recorded at least two points in the game
- Gallaudet scored 21 points off 15 turnovers
- The Bison received 35 points from their bench
- Widener outrebounded Gallaudet by seven, 30-23
Gallaudet will travel to New York this weekend to take on two North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foes. The Bison (4-8 NEAC) will begin the trip at Keuka College (8-10, 5-6 NEAC) on Saturday, Feb. 9, at 3 p.m.