WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's soccer team played its final home game of the 2016 season here Sunday on Senior Day at Hotchkiss Field. Gallaudet's senior class went out as winners as the Bison shut out Cazenovia College, 1-0, in a physical North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) match.
Gallaudet (5-10-1, 3-7-1 NEAC) and Cazenovia (4-10, 2-8 NEAC) played through a scoreless first half.
The lone goal of the game came in the 58th minute when senior defender Olalekan Ajifowoke (Bowie, Md.) exploited a weakness in Cazenovia's defense. Ajifowoke punched the ball through the back line to set up a breakaway for freshman defender Elan Markel (University Park, Md.), who ripped a low shot past Cazenovia goalkeeper Tom Nicholls (10 saves) for his first goal of the season.
Both teams played aggressively throughout the first half, racking up a total of 14 fouls, but the Bison finished the half with twice as many shots, 8-4, as the Wildcats.
The aggression continued in the second half as the teams combined for 15 more fouls and three yellow cards.
Cazenovia turned up the offensive pressure as the Wildcats outshot the Bison 8-7 in the second half. The Wildcats were unable to solve freshman goalkeeper Noah Means-Simonsen (Louisville, Ky.) and Gallaudet's tenacious defense. Means-Simonsen (six saves) made three saves in each half.
"It's been a pleasure coaching these seniors for the last two years. They have helped to rebuild our program and I'll forever remember our experiences together. Winning on Senior Day is always a great feeling for everyone involved with the program." Pedro Braz, Gallaudet University men's soccer head coach
- Seniors Conrad Baer (Fremont, Calif.), Satish Thapa (Ridgewood, N.Y.), Teddy Jappah (Coatesville, Pa.), Rood Metellus (Bedford, N.Y.), and Ajifowoke were all recognized before the match as they played their last home game for the Bison
- Gallaudet fired 11 shots on goal
- Means-Simonsen earned his fourth career shutout
- Gallaudet took nine corner kicks
- Redshirt freshman midfielder Brian Espanto (San Antonio, Texas) and freshman forward Roel Gutierrez (Austin, Texas) each took three shots on goal
GU travels to Frederick, Md., on Wednesday, Oct. 19, to face off against Hood College at 3:30 p.m. in a non-conference game. This game was originally scheduled for Sept. 21 but got postponed until this week.