MORRISVILLE, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University men's soccer team struck first here Saturday afternoon against Morrisville State in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) match at Drake Field but lost 2-1 in overtime.
GU (5-9, 3-6 NEAC) got on the scoreboard when freshman defender Julien Cano (Avondale, Ariz.) setup freshman forward Chad Johnson (Gardena, Calif.) on his 12th goal of the season at the 18:57 mark in the first half.
The Mustangs (7-6-1, 6-2 NEAC) responded, 12 minutes later, on a Teo Chavez (one goal, one assist) goal assisted by Odaine Jackson to tie the game at 1-1.
The two teams went into halftime knotted at one apiece. In the second half, neither team scored even though Morrisville held an 11-4 edge in shots.
In overtime, Morrisville's Kossi Nodjo scored one minute and 22 seconds into the extra frame off an assist from Chavez to end the game.
Gallaudet freshman goalie Shane Angel (Mechanicsville, Md.) made 10 saves in the loss while his counterpart Cody Welkley made four saves.
- Morrisville outshot Gallaudet 21-8
- Johnson led the Bison with four shots (three on goal)
- Senior defender Kevin Fitzpatrick (Hopatcong, N.J.) and senior midfielder Connor Baer (Union City, Calif.) both attempted one shot on goal
- The Bison had no corner kicks
- Morrisville State took nine corner kicks
- GU is 1-2 in overtime games this season
- The Bison are 0-6 all-time vs. Morrisville State and 0-3 at Drake Field
- This was GU's fourth goal against Morrisville St. in six games
- The Mustangs have outscored Gallaudet 23-4 in the series
Gallaudet remains in New York to face Cazenovia College (3-11, 2-7 NEAC) tomorrow (Sunday, Oct. 21) at 2 p.m. in a conference game.