READING, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's soccer team stunned Penn St.-Berks on the road Saturday with a 2-0 shutout in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game.
On a blustery and autumn-inspired Saturday afternoon, Gallaudet (3-4, 2-2 NEAC) fended off the Nittany Lions (3-5-1, 1-3 NEAC) for a hard-wrought victory with two second-half goals. Freshman forward Chad Johnson (Gardena, Calif.) scored back-to-back goals in the 56th and 81st minute.
Johnson put GU on the board at the 55:58 mark as he flipped the ball up over the head of Nittany Lion goalie Trent Johnson (six saves). The Bison continued to put pressure on the Penn St.-Berks defense and goal. Freshman defender Julien Cano (Avondale, Ariz.) took a corner kick for GU in the 79th minute and two minutes later the Bison found the back of the net again. Senior midfielder Tim Artinian (Rochester, N.Y.) sent a cross into the goalie box where Johnson fired a shot inside the left post.
Freshman goalie Shane Angel (Mechanicsville, Md.) made seven saves in the win.
- Gallaudet outshot Penn St.-Berks by two, 13-11
- Johnson now leads the Bison with six goals
- Senior forward Sean Huber (Orange, Calif.) had one shot on goal
- Three sophomores recorded shots-on-goal for the Bison; including midfielders Alton Markel (Buda, Texas), Raymond Mukhailov (Brooklyn, N.Y.), and defender Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.)
- Penn St.-Berks was led by Alex Williams' four shots (three on goal)
- GU last beat Penn St.-Berks back on Oct. 20, 2012, with 1-0 win
Gallaudet returns home to host Wells College (2-7, 1-3 NEAC) next Saturday, Sept. 29, at 2 p.m.