CAZENOVIA, N.Y. - After two days of competition the Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving team remains in third place at the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) championships being hosted by Cazenovia College.
The Bison have accumulated 234 team points and trail defending NEAC champions SUNY Cobleskill (342.5 points) and Wells College (325.5). GU is ahead of the host Wildcats (51) through 13 events.
Gallaudet's 200-yard medley relay team got things started with a third place finish with a time of two minutes, 9.98 seconds to earn 24 team points. The relay team consisted of junior Dary Berke (Fremont, Calif.), freshman Chang Hwang (Seattle, Wash.), junior Xuan Lin (Mount Prospect, Ill.) and freshman Gideon Firl (Frederick, Md.).
Lin finished third in the 100 butterfly (1:17.37) while Firl finished fourth in a very close 100 breaststroke event. Firl touched the wall at 1:12.28 just three seconds off the winning time.
- Sophomore Tommy Wall (Toronto, Ontario) was fourth in the 100 backstroke (2:02.90)
- Senior Roberto Chavez (Jarales, N.M.) was 10th in the 200 freestyle (4:02.65)
- Hwang was eighth in the 100 breaststroke (1:26.51) followed by Lin in ninth (1:27.00)
- GU's 800 free relay team of Bruno, Peters, Chavez and Wall brought in 24 team points as they finished in 13:23.91
- The same quartet finished sixth in the 200 medley relay (2:59.01)
The third and final day of the NEAC swimming and diving championships will take place tomorrow (Sunday, Feb. 14) at the Stephen M. Schneeweiss Athletic Complex. Preliminaries are slated to start at 10 a.m. with the finals at 4:45 p.m. The final seven events include the 1,650 free, 100 IM, 200 backstroke, 100 free, 200 breaststroke, 200 butterfly and 400 free relay.