WASHINGTON - Freshman Chris Martinez (El Paso, Texas) had quite the collegiate debut as set two school records and won two events in Gallaudet University's home opener here Saturday in the Field House pool. The Bison lost to the visiting Hampden-Sydney College Tigers 141-59 before a packed crowd.
Martinez broke the oldest remaining program record when he finished first in the 200-yard Individual Medley with a time of 2:09.37. He broke Raymond Clark's old mark of 2:09.80 set in 2004. In the next event, Martinez dove back in and set a school and personal record in the 100 butterfly as he touched the wall in 57.93 seconds as he finished second. His time erases GU legendary swimmer Brian Bennett's time of 58.27 set on Dec. 3, 2011. Martinez completed his day by winning the 100 breaststroke in 1:06.70.
Junior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.) took first place in the 200 freestyle (1:56.88), finished second in the 200 freestyle (52.77) and third in the 50 freestyle (25.84).
- Freshman Setthawut Snow (St. Augustine, Fla.) placed second in the 500 freestyle (6:08.71) and third in the 1,000 freestyle (14:37.25)
- Senior captain David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) placed fourth in the 1,000 freestyle (16:32.42) and fifth in the 500 freestyle (7:57.06)
- Senior Xuan Lin (Mount Prospect, Ill.) was fifth in the 200 IM (3:06.91) and 100 backstroke (1:25.21)
- Freshman Niko Lutes-Stein (Austin, Texas) placed fifth in the 100 freestyle (1:04.71) and junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) placed sixth in the 100 freestyle (1:31.28)
- The men's 200 medley relay team placed third (2:18.34)
- The men's 400 freestyle relay team placed third (5:08.10)
- GU won three of the 11 events
- Gallaudet wore special pink swim caps to show its support for Breast Cancer Awareness month
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 backstroke||Nickolas Roman||1:03.97||1:02.86|
|100 butterfly||Chris Martinez||58.47||57.93*|
|100 freestyle||Niko Lutes-Stein||1:11.12||1:04.71|
|100 freestyle||Julian Simons||1:34.91||1:31.68|
* = Gallaudet Record
The Bison take the week off before they host Marymount (Va.) University on Friday, Nov. 4, at 6 p.m. in a non-conference meet.