COBLESKILL, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program began the first day of the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) championships hosted by SUNY Cobleskill here Friday with a flurry of first-place finishes and a school and conference record to boot.
Gallaudet currently sits in second place with 128 points and trails SUNY Cobleskill, the defending champion, by 32 points through six events. Wells College is third (109 points) while Cazenovia College is fourth (66).
Freshman Benjamin Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) won the 200-yard IM with a new NEAC record time of 2:02.19. The record time erases Sealts' previous school record time of 2:02.31 set on Nov. 4, 2017. The previous NEAC men's championship record for the 200-yard IM belonged to Gallaudet's Chris Martinez, who posted a time of 2:06.73 at last year's conference championships.
Senior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.), the reigning NEAC Men's Swimmer of the Year, won the 500-yard freestyle as he touched the wall in 5:14.37, over 13 seconds ahead of the second-place swimmer.
Gallaudet's 400-yard medley relay team won the final event of the night with a time of 4:22.63 as they crushed the field by over 37 seconds. The Bison 200-yard freestyle relay team finished fourth with a time of 2:17.46.
- Junior Mackenzie Shannon (Winnetka, Ill.) finished sixth in the 200-yard IM (2:55.47)
- Senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) placed seventh in the 200-yard IM (3:20.35)
- Sealts, Tikhonoff, Shannon and Bruno were members of the first-place 400-yard medley relay team
- Freshman Brian Podlisny (Sharon, Mass.) was sixth in the 500-yard freestyle (6:47.62) followed by junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) in seventh (8:24.96)
- The Bison didn't qualify a swimmer for the 50-yard freestyle final
- Gallaudet had no divers in the 1-meter diving event
Gallaudet returns to the Bouck Hall Natatorium tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 17) for Day 2 of the 2018 NEAC championships. Preliminaries will start at 10 a.m. and the finals will be held at 6 p.m. The events on display include the 200 medley relay, 400 individual medley, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and the 800 relay.