COBLESKILL, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program cleaned up at the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) championships hosted by SUNY Cobleskill as the Bison took every individual award on Sunday night. GU finished third overall as Wells College snuck by the Bison down the stretch to take second place away from the buff and blue.
Freshman Benjamin Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) was the star of the weekend as he won four events (including one relay) and set three NEAC records en route to be named the 2018 NEAC Men's Swimmer of the Year and 2018 NEAC Men's Rookie of the Year. Sealts shares the rookie of the year honor with SUNY Cobleskill's Daniel Mullen. Gallaudet head coach Larry Curran was named the 2018 NEAC Men's Swimming & Diving Coach of the Year.
The host Fighting Tigers from SUNY Cobleskill successfully defended its championship as they finished with 498 team points followed by Wells (394), Gallaudet (379) and Cazenovia College (196).
Sealts won the 200-yard backstroke with a NEAC record time of 1:55.86 to improve on his own school record time of 1:58.11 set on Jan. 13, 2018. He was over 34 seconds ahead of the second-place swimmer.
Senior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.), last year's NEAC Men's Swimmer of the Year, won the 200-yard butterfly with a NEAC record time of 2:06.79. Tikhonoff's time erases Raymond Clark's school record time of 2:09.83 set in 2005. The previous NEAC mark was 2:11.02 set by a Cazenovia swimmer in 2013.
Gallaudet finished third in the 400-yard freestyle relay as Sealts and Tikhonoff teamed up with junior Mackenzie Shannon (Winnetka, Ill.) and senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) to post a time of 4:02.46. Sealts got Gallaudet off to a great start in the relay as he set a school record 50.32 in the first 100-yard freestyle section to best Brian Bennett's old mark of 50.46 set on Nov. 19, 2011.
- Shannon and freshman Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) finished fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 100-yard IM with times of 1:20.64 and 1:56.91
- Liu was sixth in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 3:59.92
- Gallaudet's second relay team in the 400-yard freestyle relay finished with a time of 5:30.75 to secure 14 team points
- That team consisted of freshman Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas), Liu, junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) and freshman Brian Podlisny (Sharon, Mass.)
- Podlisny was sixth in the 1,650-yard freestyle (23:09.84)
- Gallaudet set four NEAC records this weekend
- Day 3 - Finals
- Day 3 - Preliminaries
- Day 2 - Finals
- Day 2 - Preliminaries
- Day 1 - Finals
- Day 1 - Preliminaries
This concludes the 2017-18 season for the Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program.