WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program got back into the Field House pool Friday night for a non-conference meet with Penn St.-Altoona. The Bison men won seven of the 11 events but came up short, 92-88.
The duo of senior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.) and freshman Benjamin Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) led the way as they combined to win three individual events each. Tikhonoff was first in the 200-yard freestyle as he touched the wall in one minutes, 57.38 seconds. He followed that with a first-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly (58.40) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:26.76). Sealts set a new personal best time in the 100-yard breaststroke as he finished in 1:06.35 to cap his evening. He started the meet with a first-place finish in the 200-yard IM (2:05.30) and 100-yard backstroke (55.99).
Gallaudet junior Julian Simons (Austin, Texas) finished first in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 16:21.73 while senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) took second (19:24.75) to pick-up 13 team points for the Bison (2-6).
- GU's 200-yard medley relay team finished second with a time of 2:37.35
- Bruno was third in the 50-yard freestyle (31.76)
- Junior Mackenzie Shannon (Winnetka, Ill.) was third in the 100-yard butterfly (1:20.55)
- Simons was third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:34.00) and 500-yard freestyle (9:24.91)
- Penn St.-Altoona (2-5) won four events including a sweep of the relays
- There were no diving events
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 breaststroke||Benjamin Sealts||1:06.47||1:06.35|
|100 backstroke||Rett Jala||1:45.77||1:37.13|
Gallaudet will host Bridgewater (Va.) College (1-4) tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 13) in a non-conference meet at 1 p.m. This is Senior Day for the Bison seniors as the GU program will recognize its seniors during the meet.