WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program kicked off the new year here Friday night in a non-conference meet with Penn St.-Altoona. The Bison came up short as the visiting Lions won 152-53.
Sophomore Ben Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) won two events to lead the Bison. Sealts came in first in the 200-yard backstroke when he touched the wall in two minutes, 7.21 seconds. He followed that with a first-place performance in the 200-yard IM (2:09.41). Sealts did get edged out in the 200-yard butterfly by less than three seconds. Sealts (2:12.39) trailed Penn St.-Altoona's Tanner Yaw, who won in 2:09.91.
Sophomore Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas) was second in the 50-yard freestyle (30.09) as his time was under six seconds from first place.
- Sophomore Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) was second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:57.41)
- Jala took third in the 100-yard backstroke with a new personal best time of 1:22.81 and third in the 200-yard backstroke (3:10.71)
- Liu finished third in the 200-yard freestyle (3:40.88) and 200-yard breaststroke (4:09.00)
- Sophomore Abe Polanco (Devine, Texas) took second in the 500-yard freestyle (8:22.24)
- Polanco finished third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:26.40) and 1,000-yard freestyle (17:03.93)
- GU's 400-yard freestyle relay team of Jala, Polanco, Liu and Sealts finished third (5:17.78)
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 freestyle||Rett Jala||1:14.83||1:12.99|
|100 backstroke||Rett Jala||1:23.59||1:22.81|
|100 freestyle||Xiangming Liu||1:53.70||1:39.80|
Gallaudet will turn around and host Stevenson University tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 19) at 1 p.m. in the Field House pool.