WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's swimming and diving program dove back into the Field House pool here Saturday afternoon and defeated Stevenson University, 83-71, in a non-conference dual meet.
Gallaudet (2-5) won six of 13 events as neither team entered a 200-yard medley relay team at the start of the afternoon meet. The Bison entered the last event with a one-point lead and added 11 team points with their first-place 400-yard freestyle relay team finish.
Sophomore Ben Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) continues to lead the Bison as he won the four events (three individual). He set a new personal best time in the 200-yard butterfly as he touched the wall in two minutes and 12.27 seconds. Sealts finished first in the 200-yard backstroke (2:08.63) and 200-yard IM (2:11.13). He was also part of GU's 400-yard freestyle relay team along with sophomores Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas), Abe Polanco (Devine, Texas) and Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) that won in 5:15.17.
Jala won the 100-yard backstroke (1:24.13) while Polanco won the 1,000-yard freestyle (17:07.71).
Stevenson (0-8) was led by Adam Michalak, who won three events for the Mustangs.
- Jala finished second to Sealts in the 200-yard backstroke (3:13.87)
- Liu set a new personal best time in the 200-yard freestyle (3:35.47) where he placed second
- Liu finished second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:57.02) and 200-yard breaststroke (4:14.31)
- Polanco was second in the 100-yard freestyle (1:25.75) and 500-yard freestyle (8:15.71)
- Jala placed third in the 50-yard freestyle (29.97)
- Jala set a new personal best time in the 100-yard freestyle as his opening leg of the 400-yard freestyle relay clocked in at 1:11.20
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 freestyle||Rett Jala||1:12.99||1:11.20|
|200 butterfly||Ben Sealts||2:12.39||2:12.27|
|200 freestyle||Xiangming Liu||3:40.05||3:35.47|
Gallaudet's men's team will next swim on Saturday, Feb. 2, at 1 p.m. against Elizabethtown College in the Field House Pool.