LYNCHBURG, Va. - It didn't take freshman Otto Kingstedt (Stockholm, Sweden) long to set his first Gallaudet University track and field school record. In his buff and blue indoor debut, Kingstedt won the 5,000-meter run at the two-day Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational hosted by Liberty University.
Kingstedt crossed the finish line in 15 minutes, 46.72 seconds to set a new school mark for indoor track and field. The old record was 16:32.10 set by Christopher Somnitz on Feb. 23, 1997, as the Mason-Dixon Championships in Lexington, Va. Kingstedt exploded onto the cross country scene this past fall and was named North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) Runner and Rookie of the Year as he won the conference championship meet and ran in the NCAA Mideast Regional. In the process, four of his 8K times rank in the Top 10 in GU history. Fellow freshman Vicente Perez (Cicero, Ill.) was 11th in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 17:14.11.
Freshman Jordan Manges (Jacksonville, Ill.) was the top Bison in the 200-meter dash as he won his heat with a time of 23.92 seconds. Sophomores Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) was 21st (24.14) followed by Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) in 42nd (25.86) and Shawn Benavente (Phoenix, Ariz.) in 44th place (26.02).
- Senior Alex Close (Tallahassee, Fla.) was eighth in the 800-meter run (2:06.23)
- GU's 4x400 meter relay team finished seventh with a time of 3:49.76 out of 13 teams
- Junior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) was eighth in the 500-meter dash (1:13.86)
- Junior Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.) was 17th in the 1,000-meter dash (3:31.98)
- Sophomore Dane Pelz (Oregon, Ohio) was 18th in the shot put with a toss of 9.31 meters (30 feet, 6.5 inches)
- Benavente was 28th in the 400-meter dash (56.98)
- Varice was 30th in the 60-meter dash (7.58) preliminaries as he won his heat
- Roberts placed 36th in the 60-meter dash (7.74) prelims
- Freshman Parker Holt (Eagle Mountain, Utah) was 38th in the 3,000-meter run (12:01.56)
GU will travel to Susquehanna University next weekend to participate in the Crusader Challenge on Saturday, Feb. 6, in Selinsgrove, Pa.