SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Only a week removed from the Crusader Challenge, where three school records fell by the wayside, the record books continued to rewrite themselves here late Friday night as Gallaudet University's men's track and field broke three more records at the Susquehanna Invitational hosted by Susquehanna University.
The 4x200-meter relay team of sophomore Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas), sophomore Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.), senior Alex Close (Tallahassee, Fla.) and freshman Jordan Manges (Jacksonville, Ill.) crossed the finish line with a time of 1 minute, 36.43 seconds, good for seventh place out of 14 schools. The time broke the previous school record (1:36.79), which was set at the very same event just over three years ago on Feb. 9, 2013 by the relay team team of Michael Haynes, Close, Darius Flowers and Vianney Boum-Yamb.
This would not be the only event of the day that Close broke a record he previously held. In the 400-meter dash, Close flew across the finish line, finishing in 11th place out of 59 runners with a time of 52.92 seconds. This mark broke his own record set three years ago on Feb. 24, 2013, which was timed at 53.00 seconds flat at George Mason's Last Chance Meet in Fairfax, Va. Manges also ran in the event, finishing with a time of 57.86 seconds.
One week removed from breaking a 26-year old school record, freshman distance runner Otto Kingstedt (Stockholm, Sweden) participated in the 3,000-meter run and came in first out of 52 runners who participated in the event. In the process, Kingstedt lowered his week-old record (9:05.09) by nearly 14 seconds, crossing the finish line with an official time of 8:51.44. Freshman runner Vicente Perez (Cicero, Ill.) finished in 37th place with a time of 9:47.07.
- Freshman Garrett Springer (Faribault, Minn.) finished 14th in the shot put with a toss of 12.09 meters
- Sophomore Dane Pelz (Oregon, Ohio) finished 39th in the shot put with a throw of 9.32 meters
- Roberts finished 33rd in the long jump event, jumping 5.02 meters
- Varice finished 14th out of 53 in the 60-meter dash preliminaries with a time of 7.40 seconds
- Roberts also ran in the 60-meter dash, finishing with a time of 7.69 seconds
- Junior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) finished in 44th in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:15.19
- Junior Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.) also finished the 800-meter run with a time of 2:30.19
- Varice ran the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.74 seconds, placing him 14th out of 57 runners
- Manges finished the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.83 seconds, good for 18th
- Sophomore Shawn Benavente (Phoenix, Ariz.) completed the 200-meter dash in 38th place with a time of 25.27 seconds
Gallaudet will return to Selinsgrove one more time on Saturday, Feb. 20, for the Susquehanna University Open, which will mark the final indoor track and field meet for the Bison this season before transitioning to outdoor.