NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Gallaudet University men's indoor track and field sprinters had a banner day here Saturday at the Vince Brown Invitational hosted by Christopher Newport University. The Bison set several school records in the Freeman Center.
Sophomore sprinter Toraneau Varice (Deerfield, Fla.) improved on his own school record in the 200-meter dash. Varice crossed the finish line in 23.14 seconds to take first place in his heat and finished 13th overall. His previous best time in this event was 23.55 seconds set last year (Feb. 6, 2016).
Varice was also three one hundredths of a second away from earning a qualifying spot in the finals of the 60-meter dash. He finished second in his heat and 13th overall will a final time of 7.19.
Freshman Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.) was only four tenths of a second away from qualifying for a spot in the finals of the 60-meter dash. He finished third in his heat and 25th overall with a time of 7.30.
Jones also participated in the 200- and 400-meter dash where he finished 26th (24.07) and 20th (53.92), respectively. He was second in his heat in the 400-meter dash.
Freshmen Carter Janorschke (Lichtfield, Minn.), Timothy Olakunle and juniors Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.), Gunner Hahn took third place in the distance medley relay finishing in 15:48.26. The group set a program record with the time as this was the first time Gallaudet has competed in this indoor event.
The 4x400 meter relay team consisting of senior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa), freshman Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.), freshman Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.) and Jack Gray took third place in the event as the team finished in 5:00.35. Their finishing time was just three seconds behind the first-place finishing St. Andrews relay team (4:57.50).
- Gray was the second best finisher for Gallaudet in the 400 meter dash finishing 31st overall (54.77) and took 36th in the men's high jump (5.43 meters)
- Freshman Spencer Maples (Kempner, Texas) placed 61st in the 200-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in 25.55
- In the 60-meter dash, Lorenzo Fuller (Miami, Fla.) finished 46th (56.87), Christenberry finished 50th (57.72) and Branscomb finished 55th (1:00.24)
- Isaacson took first in his heat during the 800-meter run and finished 21st (2:06.35) and took 19th overall in the 60-meter dash (9.36)
- Devaron Scott (Mocksville, N.C.) threw the shot put 8.24 meters (27 feet, and a half inch) to finish 34th overall
The Bison will head to Carlisle, Pa., to compete in the DuCharme Invitational hosted by Dickinson College.