BEREA, Ky. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team placed fifth out of seven teams here Saturday on the second and final day of the the Atlantic Independent Championship hosted by Berea College. Gallaudet junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) was named the Atlantic Independent 2018 Co-Male Athlete of the Meet after he secured 32 team points for the Bison.
Piedmont University won the championship with 157 points as the Lions were followed by host Berea College (126), Methodist University (122), Pfeiffer University (91), Gallaudet (66), Covenant University (30) and Brevard College (20).
Garner won the men's shot put with a toss of 13.05 meters that came on his sixth and final throw. His second throw in the discus traveled 39.21 meters and held up throughout the competition to earn his second first-place finish. In the high jump, he cleared 1.88 meters to finish second. He completed his weekend with a fourth-place finish in the 110-meter hurdles (16.02).
Garner trailed his own teammate junior Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) in the 110-meter hurdles as he won the event in 15.51 seconds. Fellow junior Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) was second in the 110-meter hurdles, just behind Hahn at 15.56. GU took three of the top four spots in this event.
Hahn finished third in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.57 seconds.
Sophomore Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) finished third in pole vault as he cleared 2.15 meters.
Freshman Chance Hohneke (Lehi, Utah) finished 14th out of 23 runners in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:33.91.
Freshman Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.) took 10th in the 400-meter hurdles (54.14) and in the 800-meter run (2:06.45). He came in 13th place, just ahead of Hohneke by four seconds, in the 1,500-meter run (4:29.32).
In the throwing events, sophomore JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) placed fifth in the discus (34.12 meters) and seventh out of 16 in the shot put (11.8 meters). Freshman Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.) took sixth in the discus (35.50 meters), seventh in the hammer (27.53 meters) and 10th in the shot put (10.02 meters).
- The Bison's relay team of Hahn, Fuller, Haynes and O'Callaghan took sixth place out of seven in the 4x400 medley relay (3:35.35)
- Christenberry was seventh in the javelin (30.51 meters), 10th in the long jump (5.34 meters), and 22nd in the 200-meter dash (24.91)
- Haynes was 11th in the 400-meter dash (54.23) 17th in the 200-meter dash (23.97)
- Sophomore Dante Washington (Patterson, N.J.) finished 17th in the 400-meter dash (1:01.82), 18th in the 100-meter dash (12.62), 26th in the 200-meter dash (26.20)
- Sophomore Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) placed 21st in the 1,500-meter run (5:38.41) and 17th in the 5,000-meter run (18:32.15)
- Junior Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) placed 11th in discus (27.92 meters)
- Sophomore Jamari Porter (Alexandria, Va.) took 20th in the 100-meter dash preliminaries (14.09)
- Senior Silas Beasley (Andalusia, Ala.) came in 16th in the 800-meter run (3:12.43) and 23rd in the 1,500-meter run (6:35.73)
- Junior Lorenzo Fuller (Miami, Fla.) placed 12th out of 18 in the 400-meter dash (55.31) and 14th out of 16 in the 800-meter run (2:15.32)
This concludes the 2018 outdoor track and field season for Gallaudet University.