FREDERICKSBURG, Va. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team participated in the two-day Battleground Relays hosted by University of Mary Washington here Friday through Saturday. The Bison finished eighth out of 16 teams as they scored 45 team points on a very cold Saturday, where even some snowflakes fell during the meet.
The host Eagles from Mary Washington won the meet with 184 points followed by Virginia Wesleyan (113) in second place and Southern Virginia University (102) in third.
Junior Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) won the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.47 seconds while junior Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) was second (16.20). In the 400-meter hurdles, Hahn placed third with a time of 1:00.54.
Senior Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) was second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.44 seconds. Freshman Louie Akuffo (Bowie, Md.) was 13th (24.37) while Roger Randle (Hoover, Ala.) was 16th (25.06).
Freshman Chance "Ren" Hohneke (Lehi, Utah) finished eighth in the 1,500-meter run as he crossed the finish line in 4:35.17. O'Callaghan was a few seconds off Hohneke's pace in 11th place (4:39.38).
Sophomore Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) took ninth in the 5,000-meter run (20:36.13).
In the field events, junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) had a busy day. Garner finished fourth in the high jump as he cleared 1.75 meters. Garner was 10th in the discus (35.90 meters), 11th in the shot put (11.43 meters)
Jamari Porter (Alexandria, Va.) finished fifth in the long jump with a leap of 3.77 meters.
- Randle finished 11th in the 100-meter dash as he clocked in at 12.57 seconds
- Sophomore Dante Washington (Paterson, N.J.) finished 13th (12.91) in the 100-meter dash
- Joseph Pion was 16th (13.61) and Porter was 19th (14.40) in the 100-meter dash
- Attanasi finished 12th in the 3,000-meter run (11:52.65)
- Washington was 14th in the 400-meter dash (1:00.63)
- Senior Silas Beasley (Andalusia, Ala.) was 23rd in the 1,500-meter run (7:57.80)
- Freshman Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.) finished 14th in the discus (32.44 meters), 17th in the hammer (21.26 meters), 24th in the shot put (8.46 meters)
- Sophomore JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) took 16th in the discus (30.84 meters) and 17th in the shot put (9.98 meters)
- Junior Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) was 14th in the hammer (27.77 meters), 21st in the discus (21.18 meters), 22nd in the shot put (8.79 meters)
Gallaudet will participate in the two-day Osprey Open hosted by Stockton University in Galloway, N.J., next weekend (April 13-14).