WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet men's track and field team placed third out of eight teams at the Gallaudet University Invitational here Saturday at the Thomas O. Berg Track. The Bison tallied 68 team points on Senior Day.
The Catholic University of America won the meet with 152 points, followed by University of Mary Washington (86), Gallaudet, George Washington University (62), Montgomery College (50), Howard Community College (24), Flyknits (16) and Pacers/New Balance (4) in a total of 18 events.
Junior Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) won the 110-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles with times of 15.60 and 57.76, respectively, as he beat his previous times in the Osprey Open event on April 14.
In men's shot put, junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) placed second with a distance of 12.78 meters. He finished third in the men's high jump (1.90 meters) and fourth in discus throw (36.60 meters).
Following Garner in the discus event was freshman Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.), who placed fourth (35.34 meters) and sophomore JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) was seventh with a new season best toss of 34.80 meters.
The meet marked Senior Day for Gallaudet senior standout Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) who helped the Bison 4x400 meter relay team finish second with a time of 3:40.52. Varice was GU's top runner in the 100-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in 11.38 seconds to take seventh place.
In the men's 1,500-meter run, freshman Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.) placed ninth with a time of 4:24.57, a new season best.
- Thomas was fourth in the shot put (11.67 meters)
- Cornejo placed seventh in the men's shot put (9.59 meters)
- Junior Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) placed eighth in the shot put (8.95 meters)
- Sophomore Jamari Porter (Alexandria, Va.) took fourth in the men's long jump (4.07 meters)
- Freshman Clay Ikaika (Kileen, Texas) placed 18th in the men's 100-meter dash (13.68)
- Akuffo was 16th out of 18 in the men's 200-meter dash with a time of 24.74
- Sophomore Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) took 12th in the 1,500 meter-run (4:53.39)
- Junior Lorenzo Fuller (Miami, Fla.) came in two places behind Christenberry with a time of 5:01.06
- Senior Silas Beasley (Andalusia, Ala.) took 17th (6:50.07) in the 1,500-meter run
- In the men's 800-meter run, Fuller placed 12th (2:17.07) and Silas placed 16th (3:16.90)
- In discus, Mattingly placed 12th (25.91 meters)
- For the men's hammer throw Cornejo placed seventh (24.36 meters) and Mattingly took eighth (21.59 meters)
- In the men's javelin throw Christenberry placed sixth with a throw of 27.89 meters
Gallaudet will participate in the two-day Atlantic Independent Championship hosted by Berea College in Berea, Ky., on Friday and Saturday (April 27-28), to wrap up the 2018 season.