GALLOWAY, N.J. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team finished 17th out of 31 teams here Saturday at the two-day Osprey Open hosted by Stockton University.
The host Ospreys won with 140.5 team points followed by RC-Gloucester CC (55 points), Farmingdale St. (53), and unattached team (48) and Cheyney (47.5) round out the top five. The Bison tallied 20 team points.
Junior Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) took second in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.67. He finished seventh in the 400-meter hurdles with a season-best time of 58.35 seconds.
Junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) was third in the high jump as he cleared 1.93 meters (six feet, four inches) on his second to last jump. Garner placed sixth in the shot put (13.30 meters) and 11th in the discus (37.32 meters).
Sophomore Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) participated in the two-day decathlon and finished eighth out of nine competitors with 3,642 points. His best event was the 1,500-meter run where he won in 4:50.13 to earn 618 points.
Freshman Chance Hohneke (Lehi, Utah) finished 12th in the 10,000-meter run with a personal record time of 37 minutes, 51.29 seconds.
Senior Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) finished 16th in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.28 seconds while freshman Louie Akuffo (Bowie, Md.) posted his season best time of 11.96 as he placed 37th.
Hohneke finished 21st in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:31.49 as he just missed a new personal best time by a second. Freshman Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.) was right behind Hohneke in 23rd place with a new season best time (4:34.83).
O'Callaghan placed 28th in the 400-meter dash with a personal best time of 54.03 seconds. Sophomore Dante Washington (Paterson, N.J.) was five seconds off his teammate's pace as he finished 46th with a new season best time of 59.46.
O'Callaghan was GU's first finisher in the 800-meter run with a new personal record of 54.03 seconds as he crossed the finish line in 33rd place.
- Junior Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) was 12th in the 110-meter hurdles (32.58)
- Sophomore JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) finished 16th in the discus with a season best toss of 33.93 meters (111 feet, four inches)
- Thomas was 20th in the shot put with a toss of 10.57 meters
- Freshman Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.) was 20th in the hammer with a season-best toss of 24.80 meters (81 feet, four inches)
- Cornejo also posted a personal best in the shot put with a toss of 10.49 meters (34 feet, five inches) as he finished 23rd
- Sophomore Jamari Porter (Alexandria, Va.) was 26th in the long jump with a leap of 3.57 meters
- Junior Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) had a personal record in the shot put with a toss of 9.65 meters (31 feet, eight inches) in 28th place
- Sophomore Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) was 28th in the 5,000-meter run with a season best time of 19:13.86
- Akuffo was 43rd in the 200-meter dash with a personal best time of 24.18
- Washington finished 56th in the 200-meter dash with a season best time of 26.04
Gallaudet returns home and will host its only meet of the spring season on Saturday, April 21, at 9:30 a.m.