COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team narrowly missed a Top 5 finish here Saturday at the Ursinus College Invitational. The Bison finished sixth out of 10 teams with 63.50 team points out of 19 events scored.
The host Ursinus won the meet with 146.50 points followed by Gettysburg College (120), Lincoln (Pa.) University (116), SUNY Cobleskill (70) and Delaware Valley University (65).
Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) won the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.67 seconds as he edged out teammate Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) in second place (15.78). Hahn finished fourth in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.40.
Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) was third in the 100-meter dash (11.13 seconds) and the 200-meter dash (22.60).
In the field, junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) led the way with two seventh-place finishes. Garner placed seventh in the shot put as his first toss out of six went 13.21 meters (43 feet, 4.25 inches). He finished seventh in the discus with a throw of 37.63 meters (123 feet, five inches) to pick up valuable team points.
Freshman Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.) was 10th in the discus with a toss of 33.42 meters (109 feet, eight inches).
Sophomore Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) finished fifth in the high jump as he cleared 1.37 meters (four feet, 6 inches) on his first try. Christenberry was eighth in the long jump as he jumped 5.78 meters (18 feet, 11.75 inches) as he just missed 19 feet.
GU's 4x100 meter relay team placed fourth with a time of 49.21 seconds while the 4x400 meter relay team finished sixth overall with a time of 3:40.05.
- Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) was 10th in the 5,000-meter run (21:41.77)
- Chance Hohneke (Lehi, Utah) was 11th in the 1,500-meter run (4:30.90) while Sean O'Callaghan (San Diego, Calif.) was 14th (4:35.72)
- Hohneke was GU's top runner in the 800-meter run as he finished 15th (2:11.67)
- Dante Washington (Paterson, N.J.) finished 19th in the 400-meter dash (1:00.50)
- Sophomore JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) finished 12th in the shot put with a top throw of 11.13 meters (36 feet, 6.25 inches)
- Cornejo took 18th (9.78 meters) in the shot put followed by junior Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) in 21st place (9.18 meters)
- Mattingly was 10th in the hammer (27.37 meters) followed by Cornejo (18.62 meters) in 11th
- Thomas and Mattingly finished 18th and 20th place, respectively in the discus with throws of 28.51 meters and 24.41 meters
Gallaudet will head south to Fredericksburg, Va., on Friday, April 6, to participate in the two-day Battleground Relays hosted by University of Mary Washington.