WASHINGTON - The Bison men's track and field team won the 2019 Gallaudet University Invitational on a sunny Saturday at Thomas O. Berg Track in the nation's capital. The Bison compiled 209 team points to win going away as they defeated University of Mary Washington (132), Goucher College (35) and Medgar Evers College (31).
Gallaudet won nine of the 18 events in the lone home meet for the Bison this season.
Freshman Eric Gregory (Metairie, La.) won the 100- and 200-meter dash events with times of 10.87 and 21.39 seconds, respectively. Gregory's time in the 200-meter dash improves his school record mark in that event. His previous best time was 21.56 set last week at the Hopkins/Loyola Invitational in Baltimore.
Gallaudet swept the top spots in the 100- and 200-meter dash events. Senior Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) shined on Senior Day with second-place finishes in those two events. Varice recorded a time of 11.06 in the 100-meter dash and 22.20 in the 200-meter dash. Freshman Brady Perry (Frederick, Md.) was third in the 100-meter dash (11.42) while freshman Omar Harvey (Newark, N.J.) was third in the 200-meter dash (23.41).
Senior Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) won the 110-meter hurdles (15.80) and was second in the 400-meter dash (53.23). Fellow senior Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) was third in the 400-meter dash (53.49).
Senior Gunner Hahn (Delvan, Wis.) won the 400-meter hurdles (1:00.61) and was third in the 110-meter hurdles (16.27).
Junior Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) took first in the 5,000-meter run (22:38.94) followed by freshman Yazeed Al-Khatib (Bronx, N.Y.) with a time of 24:29.88. Al-Khatib won the 3,000-meter run (12:37.27) as he ran unopposed.
In the field events, freshman Liam Painter (Edgewood, N.M.) won the pole vault as he cleared 2.99 meters.
Junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) was second in the high jump as he cleared 1.75 meters and placed second in the shot put (12.57 meters) and third in the discus (38.70 meters).
- GU took seven of the top eight spots in the 100-meter dash
- The Bison took five of the top six spots in the 200-meter dash
- Freshman Nicholas Smith (Hamburg, Pa.) was third in the javelin (41.40 meters)
- Junior Jordan Kray (Fremont, Calif.) was third in the 400-meter hurdles
- Painter was third in the 800-meter run (2:27.57)
- Freshman Peter Tran (Fountain Valley, Calif.) was fourth in the 800-meter run (2:38.57) and fifth in the 1,500-meter run (5:28.44)
- Roberts was fourth in the long jump with a top jump of 5.87 meters
- Junior JaQuan Thomas (Savannah, Ga.) was sixth in the shot put (11.13 meters) and discus (35.32 meters)
- Freshman Austin Bates (Lacey, Wash.) was seventh in the javelin (34.79 meters)
- Sophomore Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, Pa.) was GU's top thrower in the hammer with a toss of 29.39 meters to place eighth
Gallaudet will complete the regular-season schedule next Saturday, April 27, at the Paul Kiser Classic hosted by Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, Pa.