JAMESVILLE, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University men's cross country team finished sixth overall here Saturday at the Cazenovia Homecoming Invitational held at Jamesville Beach State Park. The Bison accumulated 143 team points in a field of 14 teams on the same course that the 2015 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) championships will be run in four weeks. Of the 12 teams that placed eight of them are from the NEAC.
Gallaudet freshman Otto Kingstedt (Stockholm, Sweden) jumped out to the quick lead and battled with Zakaria Djouma from Mohawk Valley Community College. The two were neck-and-neck throughout the race before Djouma kicked past Kingstedt down the stretch. Djouma won the 8K race in 26 minutes and two seconds while Kingstedt was three seconds behind in second place (26:05) out of 118 runners. Kingstedt finished 53 seconds before Byron Evans from Morrisville State College, a NEAC member, crossed in 26:58 in third place. Kingstedt's time is a new personal record and the fourth fastest time in school history.
GU freshman Vicente Perez (Cicero, Ill.) recorded a Top 10 finish as he was 10th (28:44) followed by junior Alex Close (Tallahassee, Fla.) in 34th (30:00) and sophomore Dylan Rich (Brockton, Mass.) in 41st (30:18). Freshman Miguel Barrios (Riverside, Calif.) was the fifth Gallaudet runner to finish and earn team points as Barrios placed 77th (33:46).
Le Moyne College, a Division II program, won the meet with 69 team points followed by Paul Smith's College in second place (90) and SUNY Cobleskill (95) from the NEAC,
- Sophomore John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) was 83rd (34:27)
- Sophomore Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.) was 95th (36:27)
- Gallaudet's average time per runner was 29:47
- The team total time was 2:28:53
- The other NEAC schools that placed include SUNY Poly in fourth (99), Morrisville St. in seventh (146), Penn St.-Berks in eighth (155), Wells College in ninth (264), Cazenovia College in 11th (286) and Keuka College in 12th (302).
GU will next travel to Towson, Md., to run in the Goucher College Cross Country Classic on Saturday, Oct. 10.