WINCHESTER, Va. - The Gallaudet University men's cross country team went to battle against 10 other teams here Saturday morning in the Hornet Harrier meet hosted by Shenandoah University at the Kernstown Battlefield. Once the smoke had cleared from the starter's cannon, which began the race, Gallaudet finished in 11th place with 296 team points.
Bridgewater (Va.) College took first place overall accumulating a total of 34 team points. Washington and Lee University came in a close second, two points back, with 36 while the host Hornets were a distant third (91 points).
Bridgewater sophomore John Hiegel won the 6K race with a time of 19 minutes, 51 seconds.
Junior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) was the first to cross the finish line for the Bison, finishing in 51st place with a time of 23:49. Freshman Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) finished 56th (24:41) followed by sophomore James Weichel (Bradenton, Fla.) in 61st place (25:31) and freshman Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) in 75th (28:05). Sophomore Rodney Lebon (Charlotte, N.C.) was the final runner to score points for the Bison crossing the finish line with a final time of 31:13 in 79th place.
- Junior Yuan Tang (Bejing, China) finished 80th overall (32:53)
- Freshman Harsh Shah (Philadelphia, Pa.) finished 82nd overall (34:58)
- Freshman David Hernandez (Jacksonville, Texas) finished 84th overall (39:28)
- This is the first time Lebon was a top-five finisher for Gallaudet
- Saturday marks the first time that Isaacson was the top finisher for the Bison this season
Gallaudet will travel back to Lancaster, Pa., to race in the Charger Invitational next Saturday, Oct. 1, at 9 a.m.