LANCASTER, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's cross country team finished 10th overall with 297 team points on a cold, wet Saturday at the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) cross country championships hosted by Lancaster Bible College (LBC).
The host Chargers won their first NEAC championship to snap SUNY Poly's stranglehold as the Wildcats were the five-time defending champions entering the race. Lancaster Bible had three of the top six finishers, including the first-place runner, as the Chargers accumulated 44 team points. SUNY Poly was close behind in second with 50 points. Penn College took third place with 72 points, followed by SUNY Cobleskill in fourth (116), and Penn St.-Berks (121) round out the top five. LBC freshman Abenezer Abebe won the 8K race with a time of 25 minutes and 55.5 seconds. This is the second year in a row a LBC runner has taken home the NEAC title.
GU freshman Liam Painter (Edgewood, N.M.) was the first Bison to cross the finish line as he completed the challenging course in 33:06.8 minutes in 72nd place. Junior Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) finished next in 75th place just a few seconds behind Painter (33:16.9). Freshman Jared Spinale (Camby, Ind.) was the third Bison to finish in 82nd place (34:05.4).
This marked the final event of the 2018 season for the Bison. Gallaudet had three seniors; Alex Close (Tallahassee, Fla.), Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) and Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.).
- Sophomore Gunner Hahn (Marshfield, Wis.) finished in 91st place (36:49.1)
- Freshman Peter Tran (Fountain Valley, Calif.) crossed the finish line in 97th place (37:28.0)
- Junior David Hernandez (Jacksonville, Texas), was the last Bison to finish as he crossed in 105th place with time 44:32.8
- There were 110 runners and 12 schools in the championship field
- The top seven spots (1-7) earn all-conference first team, spots 8-14 earn second team, spots 15-21 earn third team honors
This marked the end of the 2018 season for the Gallaudet cross country program.