LANCASTER, Pa. - The Gallaudet University softball team completed the 2019 season on a high note as the Bison defeated Lancaster Bible College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) doubleheader on the road Wednesday. The Bison (12-20, 4-14 NEAC) took the first game 5-1 and the second game 4-0 over the Chargers (11-23, 5-13 NEAC).
GU snapped its eight-game losing streak and swept LBC for the second year in a row.
Game 1: Gallaudet 5, Lancaster Bible 1
The host Chargers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the second inning and held that one-run advantage until the fourth inning.
Gallaudet got on the scoreboard with five runs on two hits and several errors by the Chargers in the fourth.
Sophomore Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) led the Bison offense with three hits.
Senior pitcher Jacklyn Zacarias (Montebello, Calif.) struck out a career-high 11 batters in a complete game victory. Zacarias (7-10) allowed one run on four hits and walked none.
LBC pitcher Nicole DeKok (5-14) took the loss as she allowed three runs on one hit, walked four and struck out three.
Game 2: Gallaudet 4, Lancaster Bible 0
Zacarias picked up where she left off with a second straight complete game performance in the circle for the Bison. She tossed a seven-inning shutout and struck out seven additional batters to complete her season 8-10 for the Bison.
Freshman Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) was one of three Bison with two hits but her two hits were extra-base hits. Hudson had a RBI double in the three-run third inning and added a lead-off triple and scored on an error in the fifth inning.
LBC pitcher Tracy Hatton (3-5) took the loss as she allowed four runs on seven hits, one walk and five strikeouts.
- Gallaudet went 6-10 in the month of April
- GU had two shutout wins this season
- Gallaudet and LBC are the first NEAC schools to complete their schedules
- GU went 2-8 in South Division play, one game better than the Chargers and fifth out of six teams in division standings
- The Bison finished the season 9-12 at home and 3-8 on the road
- The season wins (12) and conference wins (4) are new lows under Coach Justen Burns in three seasons
- Gallaudet has won 10 or more games in its past four seasons
- GU senior class finishes with a 51-83-1 overall record and 20-56 NEAC record in four seasons
This completes the 2019 season for the Bison. GU will lose two seniors and possibly several other players, who have reached their academic senior eligibility and are graduating.