WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team wrapped up a busy stretch of its schedule here Monday night at the Field House where the Bison lost 61-50 to Morrisville State College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) contest. This was Gallaudet's fourth game in six days after several games were rescheduled due to snow.
A spirited rally by Gallaudet, midway through the fourth quarter, pulled the Bison to within four points, 49-45, with three minutes left in regulation. GU (9-8, 8-5 NEAC) was unable to get any closer as Morrisville's Charlotte Walker (21 points) made back-to-back jumpers to increase the margin to eight with two minutes to play.
Three different Bison finished in double figures led by sophomore forward Kelsey Hudson's (Blissfield, Mich.) double-double as she recorded 14 points and 13 rebounds. Senior guard Zamica Gage (Washington, D.C.) and sophomore guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) scored 11 apiece. Gage grabbed seven rebounds, made five steals, four assists and had one block. Senior forward Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) brought down a team-high 10 rebounds and made two blocks.
Gallaudet controlled the game early before Morrisville (12-6, 8-3 NEAC) doubled up the Bison in the second quarter and took a 30-24 lead into halftime. The Mustangs finished the game by going 6 of 8 from the free throw line in the final minute.
GU cut the lead to two, 32-30, at the 7:42 mark in the third quarter but the Mustangs responded with a 14-2 lead to build some distance away from the Bison.
Walker led the Mustangs in scoring and grabbed seven rebounds while Jordan Anderson and Caitlynn Adams (nine rebounds, three blocks) scored 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Senior guard Danielle Warren (San Jose, Calif.) scored seven points
- This is Hudson's second double-double of the season
- The Bison scored 23 points off 18 Mustang turnovers
- Morrisville outrebounded Gallaudet by seven, 48-41
- The four team blocks are the second most made in a game this season for the Bison
- GU has dropped its last two games against Morrisville
- The Mustangs beat the Bison 75-49 in New York last season
- Gallaudet holds a 4-3 series edge over Morrisville since the Bison joined the NEAC
- This was the Mustangs' first win at the Field House
Gallaudet will rest before this weekend's away trip to New York where the Bison will begin at Keuka College (3-13, 2-8 NEAC) on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 3 p.m.