WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet women's basketball team secured a tight 68-65 win over Bryn Athyn College in a close North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division game here Wednesday night in the Field House on Padden Court. GU participated in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association's (WBCA) annual "Play4Kay" initiative to raise awareness for breast cancer research.
Gallaudet (9-13, 7-7 NEAC) saw its fourth quarter six-point lead switch in favor of Bryn Athyn (6-17, 3-11 NEAC) with 3:41 left in regulation as the Lions led 61-59. Junior guard Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) came down and hit a clutch three-pointer followed by a jumper to give Gallaudet the 64-61 lead at the 2:45 mark. The Bison made some key free throws down the stretch and led 67-65 with just 16 seconds left when Bryn Athyn turned the ball over, on a double-dribble call, to hand GU the game.
Neild scored a game-high 28 points while junior forward Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) added 20 points and a game-high seven assists. Neild added six rebounds, five assist, four steals and one block. Senior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds to go with seven points.
Bryn Athyn's Zeniyah Sanders recorded a double-double with a team-high 23 points and 11 rebounds and three blocks. Clayshonia Cogmon was the second Lion to tally a double-double (17 points, 16 rebounds) while Myah Phillips and Sha'Vion Woodland passed out a game-high six assists.
Gallaudet trailed Bryn Athyn by 11 points, 14-3, early in the first quarter but went on a 11-3 run to cut the Lions' lead to three, 17-14, at the end of the first. GU finally took the lead right before halftime where it led 35-32.
- Freshman guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) recorded five points, five assists and four steals
- Junior forward Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) added six points
- Senior Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) provided a spark off the bench with five rebounds
- Bryn Athyn outrebounded GU 49-35
- GU shot 78.9 percent from the free throw line (15-for-19)
- The Bison made 5 of 11 three-pointers (45.5 percent)
- Gallaudet scored 18 points in transition
- The Bison recorded 26 points in the paint compared to Bryn Athyn's 42
- The game featured nine ties and nine lead changes
- The Bison sweep the season series with Bryn Athyn
Gallaudet will host University of Valley Forge (9-7) in a non-conference game on Saturday, Feb. 10, at 12 p.m.