WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team prevailed 67-62 over Penn St.-Berks in the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) tournament quarterfinals here Tuesday night in the Field House on Padden Court.
Gallaudet (13-13) will advance to the NEAC championship weekend being hosted by SUNY Poly in Marcy, N.Y. The Bison will face Keuka College (19-5) in the second semifinal on Saturday, Feb. 24, at 4 p.m.
The Bison led after each quarter in the first half and took a six-point lead, 30-24, into halftime. In the third quarter, the Nittany Lions (10-12) battled back as they erased a 10-point Bison led down to zero. Penn St.-Berks scored the final seven points of the quarter including a three-point buzzer-beater by Kylie Herman (29 points) as the teams entered the fourth quarter knotted at 41.
GU went on a 12-4 run in the first two minutes and a half in the fourth as the visitors were forced to call timeout to regroup down 52-45. The Bison pushed their lead to double digits, again, late in the quarter and secured the win at the free throw line in the end.
Junior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.), one of Division III's leading scorers, kept up with her scoring average as she netted 23 points. She completed the double-double with 16 rebounds along with two blocks and two steals. Junior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) recorded her fifth double-double this season with 21 points and 12 rebounds to go with three steals, two blocks and two assists. Senior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) tied Neild with a game-high 16 rebounds and added seven points. Freshman guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) netted 10 points, passed out a game-high seven assists and made two blocks.
Herman led all-scorers with 29 points as she made 11 of 30 shots from the field and grabbed 13 rebounds for her own double-double. Jennifer Martin added a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds and a team-high four assists.
- Senior Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) made a career-high three blocks and 11 rebounds
- Junior Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) added two blocks
- Gallaudet made a season-high 10 blocks in the win
- The Bison scored 30 points in the paint
- Gallaudet scored 18 points off 15 Penn St.-Berks' turnovers
- Both teams passed out 11 assists
- GU outrebounded Penn St.-Berks by 18 (66-48)
- The game featured five ties and one lead change
- GU went 2-1 against Penn St.-Berks this season
- Gallaudet is now 3-1 all-time in NEAC quarterfinal games
- The Bison are 3-0 in NEAC quarterfinal games in the Field House
Gallaudet will face Keuka for the first time this season as the two teams didn't face each other during the regular season. Top-seed SUNY Poly (20-6) will go up against Penn St.-Abington (14-11) in the other semifinal at 2 p.m.