WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University fell to Rutgers University-Camden 68-64 here Sunday afternoon at the Field House on Padden Court in a women's basketball non-conference game.
Gallaudet (1-3) controlled the first half and led by as much as 13 points and took a 43-33 lead into halftime. Rutgers-Camden (3-2) used a 22-6 third quarter to change the tide in the contest.
The Scarlet Raptors led 55-49 after three quarters of play and held off a comeback by the Bison, late, as the host outscored the visitors, 15-13, in the fourth quarter. The game saw six lead changes and four ties.
Junior forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) scored a game-high 24 points to got with five rebounds and four steals. Junior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) grabbed a team best 10 rebounds and netted nine points, four steals and two assists. Sophomore guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) added 11 points, nine rebounds, six assists, three steals and one block in the loss.
Rutgers-Camden had four players in double figures led by Kirsten Flournoy's 18 points, 10 rebounds, four blocks and two assists. Michelle Obasi added a double-double with 16 points, 13 rebounds, four steals and two blocks.
- Senior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored five points, nine rebounds and two steals
- Freshman Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) added seven points and seven assists
- Junior forward Kelli Barnes (Hope Mills, N.C.) tallied six points
- Gallaudet scored 23 fast-break points
- Rutgers-Camden held a 42-32 edge in points in the paint
- GU outrebounded Rutgers-Camden by three, 46-43
- Both teams shot 40 percent from the field
- Gallaudet led for 23 minutes of the game
Gallaudet will begin conference play on Wednesday night (Nov. 29) at 7 p.m. against Penn St.-Berks (1-2).