WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team lost its fourth quarter lead over Worcester State University here Sunday afternoon in the Field House on Padden Court and lost the low-scoring non-conference game, 53-49.
Gallaudet (3-4) increased its 25-18 halftime lead to its largest in the game, eight points, at the 9:54 mark in the third quarter. Worcester St. (4-3) chipped away at the the Bison lead and tied the game at 31 at the 3:57 mark in the third. Junior Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) made 4 of 5 attempts from the free throw line to close out the quarter with GU leading 35-33.
The decisive fourth quarter featured five lead changes and two ties. Gallaudet's last lead was with four minutes left in regulation. The Lancers scored eight of the next 11 points to escape with the win.
Worcester St. forward Kaitlyn Berkel posted a double-double with 14 points, 13 rebounds, seven assists and two blocks. Center Britt Herring added 11 points, nine rebounds and four blocks.
The first quarter went back-and-forth while Gallaudet controlled the second quarter and outscored the visitors by four, 10-6.
- Senior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored six points and eight rebounds
- Shysh led the team with six steals and eight rebounds
- Three different Bison had eight rebounds
- Sophomore guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) made six steals
- The Lancers had 10 blocks in the game
- WSU outscored GU 32-16 in the paint
- Gallaudet's bench scored 17 points
- The game featured eight lead changes, seven ties
- GU led for 22:51 while the game was tied for nearly eight minutes
Gallaudet will continue its homestand with a conference game against Lancaster Bible College (3-3, 2-0 NEAC) on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.