WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team rolled to a 94-51 victory over Bryn Athyn College, here Sunday afternoon, before a small Field House crowd in the Bison home opener.
Gallaudet (2-2) has won its last two games by an average scoring margin of 45.5 points.
Senior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) led all scorers with a season best 27 points as she made 11 of 17 shots from the field including five 3-pointers to go with six rebounds, five steals, three assists and two blocks. Senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) chipped in a season-high 22 points as she made 9 of 13 shots from the field and added six rebounds, two steals and one assist in the win.
Sophomore guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) was the third Bison in double figures as she compiled 12 points, 10 steals, seven assists and five rebounds.
GU played all eight of its players that were suited up for the game as every player scored four points or more and logged at least 15 minutes each.
Bryn Athyn (0-4) was led by its forwards Clayshonia Cogmon (14 points, 15 rebounds) and Lauren Beck (10 points, 11 rebounds) as the pair recorded double-doubles.
Gallaudet led from start-to-finish and held leads of 26-2 after the first quarter and 49-12 at the half. In the second half, GU outscored Bryn Athyn by a combined 45-39 and led 73-31 after the third quarter.
- Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored nine points
- Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) finished with eight points, eight assists, four rebounds and four steals
- Forwards Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) and Shakeedra Hubbard (Starkville, Miss.) scored six points off the bench
- Barnes grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds in 27 minutes played
- Smith recorded her first double-double of the season
- Freshman guard Krista Kachnik (Henderson, Nev.) scored four points and five rebounds
- GU held a 51-44 edge in rebounds
- The Bison scored 54 points in the paint, 35 fast-break points and 32 second-chance points
- Gallaudet scored 41 points off 34 Bryn Athyn turnovers
- GU made a season-high 24 steals after it made 23 against Pine Manor
Gallaudet will begin conference play on the road this Wednesday, Nov. 28, at Penn St.-Abington (3-1) with a 5:30 p.m. tip time.