WASHINGTON - One point stood in the way of Gallaudet University women's basketball senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) from reaching the 1,000-point mark in her career. The Bison entered Friday evening's home North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) showdown with SUNY Cobleskill ready to make history.
On her second shot of the game, Shysh added her name to an elite group of Gallaudet women's basketball players to reach the 1,000-point plateau. She drained a jumper from the left baseline to give GU a 6-5 lead at the 3:34 mark in the first quarter. The game was briefly stopped to recognize the feat as GU's last 1,000-point scorer took place eight years ago.
All-American Easter Fa'afiti was the last GU women's basketball player to reach this milestone back on Feb. 20, 2011.
Shysh finished the game with 15 points, seven rebounds and two steals as she currently has 1,014 career points.
Gallaudet (7-7, 4-1 NEAC) increased its lead in the second quarter as the Bison outscored SUNY Cobleskill (7-5, 1-3 NEAC) by 10, 23-13, and took a 36-24 lead into halftime.
The Fighting Tigers outscored Gallaudet in the second half 41-37 but it wasn't enough as the Bison hung on to win 73-65.
Senior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) led all-scorers with 26 points as she made 10 of 19 shots from the field and grabbed eight rebounds, two assists and two steals. Neild is just 39 points away from 1,000 career points as a Bison in her two seasons at GU.
Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) added 16 points, seven rebounds and a team-high five assists in the win.
Cobleskill was led by Addy Lawson's double-double with 14 points, 11 rebounds and five assists while Gabby Muraczewski matched Lawson with 14 points to go with seven boards and two blocks.
- Sophomore Juliana Bahan (Frederick, Md.) scored eight points and 11 rebounds off the bench
- Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) finished with six points and four boards
- Senior forward Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) contributed two points, two blocks, three rebounds, two assists and two steals
- GU shot 80.8 percent from the free throw line
- The Bison scored 32 points in the paint
- Gallaudet scored 20 points off 18 turnovers
- This was the first time in two seasons since GU played SUNY Cobleskill
- The Fighting Tigers won the last meeting 61-57 on Jan. 22, 2017
Gallaudet will play host to SUNY Poly (8-5, 3-1 NEAC) tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 12) at 1 p.m.
Gallaudet's women's basketball team gathers around Sabina Shysh after she scored her 1,000th career point on Jan. 11, 2019.