WASHINGTON - A strong fourth quarter led the Gallaudet University women's basketball team to an 82-69 win Wednesday night over the College of Saint Elizabeth in a showdown between the top two teams in the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division.
Gallaudet (12-8, 9-2 NEAC), who has won five straight games, flexed its muscle in the final 10 minutes as the Bison scored 24 points to break open a six-point game, 58-52. The Bison made 12 field goals as they shot 57.1 percent from the field while St. Elizabeth (8-6, 7-3 NEAC) went cold. The visiting Eagles only made 4 of 19 shots from the field (21.1 percent) and if not for 9-for-10 from the free throw line the game would of been a runaway.
Senior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) led the way with a game-high 28 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double. She added five assists, three blocks and one steal. Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored 24 points, eight rebounds, five steals and four assists as the duo combined for 52 of GU's 82 points.
Senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) was the third Bison in double figures with 10 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals. Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) chipped in nine points, three rebounds, three assists and three steals.
The Eagles were led by forward Deja Ingram's 24-point game and 10 rebounds.
Gallaudet trailed for close to 21 minutes in the game. St. Elizabeth held a 21-19 lead after the first quarter before GU took a 38-37 lead into halftime.
- Sophomore Juliana Bahan (Frederick, Md.) grabbed nine rebounds to go with five points
- Freshman Shakeedra Hubbard (Starkville, Miss.) scored six points, six rebounds off the bench
- GU grabbed 57 rebounds, the second most this season in a game
- The Bison scored 54 points in the paint
- Gallaudet tallied 22 fast-break points
- The game featured seven lead changes, six ties
- GU swept the season series with the Eagles
- The Bison won, 102-96, three weeks ago (Jan. 9)
- GU is averaging 89.6 points per game during its five-game win streak
- Gallaudet went 7-2 in the month of January
Gallaudet will play host to Cazenovia College (4-13, 2-8 NEAC) this Saturday, Feb. 2, at 2 p.m. Prior to the start of the game, the GU women's basketball program will recognize its senior class. This is also Alumni Madness Day for the Bison basketball programs, more information about the various activities can be found here - www.gallaudetathletics.com/news/2018-19/guaabballmadness.