BOSTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team never led here Saturday in a 96-63 loss to the host Saints of Emmanuel College in its Tip Off Classic.
Gallaudet (0-2) made its first shot, a jump shot by sophomore guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) to tie the game at 2-2 but the Saints went on 17-3 run and led 31-14 after the first quarter. The Bison were outscored 27-8 in the second quarter and trailed 58-22 at the half.
GU closed the gap in the second half and outscored the Saints 41-38, which included a 24-8 run in the fourth quarter.
Three different Bison reached double figures led by senior guard Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.), who scored 19 points, grabbed seven rebounds, passed out four assists, three blocks and three steals. Senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) added 13 points, six rebounds, two assists and two steals. Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) chipped in 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
Emmanuel (1-0) was led by Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda's double-double with 28 points and 16 rebounds, both career highs, while Maddie McLaughlin scored 12 points.
- Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) scored eight points, four steals, three assists, two rebounds off the bench
- Smith finished with seven points, seven rebounds and four assists
- Senior forward Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) scored three points and ripped down five rebounds
- Emmanuel held a 67-45 edge in rebounds
- Both teams made four 3-pointers
- The Saints scored 56 points in the paint and netted 34 second-chance points
Gallaudet will face Pine Manor College in the Emmanuel College Tip Off Classic consolation game tomorrow (Sunday, Nov. 18) at 1 p.m. The Saints will play Westfield State University in the 3 p.m. championship game. Westfield State defeated Pine Manor College, 102-45, on Saturday afternoon.