WASHINGTON - Early in the second quarter, here Wednesday night, Gallaudet University women's basketball welcomed its newest member of the 1,000-point club as senior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) hit a jumper in the lane. That was Neild's ninth point of the game as she went on to score a team-high 27 in an 95-82 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) victory over Penn St.-Abington in the Field House.
Gallaudet (8-8, 5-2 NEAC) jumped out to an early 24-13 lead and took a 46-36 advantage into halftime. The Bison broke open the game in a lengthy third quarter as GU scored 31 points. Gallaudet scored 12 of those 31 points from the charity stripe as Penn St.-Abington (7-7, 4-2 NEAC) committed 11 fouls. GU took its largest lead of the game (23) early in the fourth as the Bison led for nearly 39 minutes.
Neild's 1,000th point came at the 7:16 mark in the second quarter as her jumper in the lane gave GU a 10-point lead. The game was stopped briefly to recognize the accomplishment. Neild is the second Bison to collect her 1,000th career point this season. Senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) collected her milestone last Friday, Jan. 11, against SUNY Cobleskill. Five days later, a second GU women's basketball student-athlete reached 1,000 career points as a Bison after the program went close to eight years from its last 1,000th point scorer.
Neild finished with 27 points, nine assists, six rebounds, three steals and two blocks. Shysh tallied a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds to go with five assists and two steals. Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) was the third Bison with 20+ points as she recorded 26 points, six rebounds, two assists and two steals.
Nittany Lion guard Shayna Rodriguez led all-scorers with 30 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks and two assists.
- Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) had 13 points, seven rebounds, five assists and one steal
- Senior forward Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) finished with four points, three rebounds and two blocks
- Sophomore Juliana Bahan (Frederick, Md.) added two points and four rebounds off the bench
- Gallaudet scored 21 points off 14 turnovers
- The Bison netted 26 second-chance points
- Both teams scored 38 points in the paint
- The two teams split the season series
- Penn St.-Abington won 75-69 back on Nov. 28
- Neild played two seasons at Merrimack (Division II) before transferring to Gallaudet
- In two seasons, Neild scored 415 points at Merrimack (2015-17)
Gallaudet will next host Penn College (1-14, 0-7 NEAC). The game is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 19, at 2 p.m. Stay tuned to www.gallaudetathletics.com for any schedule changes due to weather, that may impact this contest.