CAMDEN, N.J. - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team lost its 2018-19 season opener 81-74 here Saturday to Rutgers University-Camden.
Gallaudet (0-1) scored the game's first points, seven seconds in, before Rutgers-Camden drained a 3-pointer. The two teams went back-and-forth in the opening minutes as GU's last lead was 6-5. The Scarlet Raptors (1-0) scored the next basket and never looked back as the Bison trailed the remainder of the game.
Rutgers-Camden led as much as 19 points in the fourth quarter before GU made a run to close the gap.
Senior guard/forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) led all scorers with 23 points, nine rebounds and three assists. Sophomore guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) and senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) scored 15 and 14 points, respectively.
Rutgers-Camden had six players in double figures, including all five starters, as guard Gabby Greene led the way with 17 points.
Gallaudet trailed 38-33 at the half.
- Junior guard Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) tallied eight points and four rebounds in her GU debut
- Freshman guard Jayla Chaney (Flint, Mich.) scored eight points in her Bison debut
- The Bison held a 40-33 edge in rebounds
- Rutgers-Camden scored 27 points off 19 Bison turnovers
- GU lost 68-64 to Rutgers-Camden last season in D.C.
Gallaudet will head up to Boston next Saturday, Nov. 17, to play in the Emmanuel College Tip Off Classic. The Bison will go up against the host Saints at 3 p.m.