WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet women's soccer team lost, 3-2, here Saturday at Hoy Field in a good match-up against North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foe SUNY Cobleskill during homecoming weekend. Sophomore Anastasia Murray (Raleigh, N.C.) scored both goals for the Bison, one in each half, to lead the offense.
The two teams went into halftime tied at 1-1 after Murray scored her eighth goal of the season off an assist from Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario), on a breakaway and a shot into the lower corner of the goal. The Fighting Tigers (2-12, 2-7 NEAC) took a 1-0 lead after a Gallaudet own goal, a ball tipped off a defender, just four minutes in.
SUNY Cobleskill wasted little time in the second half as Megan Golden scored the first of two second half goals at the 48:17 mark. Golden scored her second goal 19 minutes later off an assist from Leigha LaTourette as the visitors led 3-1.
Murray pulled Gallaudet (3-15, 1-10 NEAC) within one goal, 3-2, at the 77:38 mark with an unassisted goal. That was as close as the Bison got in the hard fought game.
- Senior goalie Jennifer Livengood (Jacksonville, Fla.) made nine saves in the game
- Murray and Mallach led the Bison in shots (five) and shots on goal (four)
- Three other Bison recorded shots during the game
- Cobleskill outshot the Bison, 17-16
- The Bison held a commanding 14-5 advantage in shots in the first half
- GU took four corner kicks in the game
- This is the second straight game that Murray has scored two goals
Gallaudet will remain at home for tomorrow's Senior Day (Sunday, Oct. 25) against SUNY Polytechnic Institute (8-5-3, 6-1-2 NEAC) at 2 p.m.