WASHINGTON - The 2015 season got underway for the Gallaudet University women's soccer team on a hot and humid Friday afternoon at Trinity Washington University, a short distance from Kendall Green. The host Tigers (2-0) got the best of the Bison (0-1) as they won, 2-1, after leading 1-0 at the half.
Gallaudet made several adjustments at halftime and responded well in the second half as the Bison played until the final whistle.
"We made adjustments at halftime, we discussed our defensive strategy. We need our offense and defense to work together and communicate more out on the field," said Gallaudet women's soccer head coach Liza Offreda. "I thought we really improved in the second half, a lot of positives to draw from. We kept pushing the entire game and didn't quit."
- Senior goalie Jennifer Livengood (Jacksonville, Fla.) made seven saves
- This the second straight year Murray has scored a goal in the season opener
- GU's defense gave up two penalty kicks in the second half, Trinity's Raissa Audrey Tseumi made 1 of 2, her second attempt went wide left
- The Bison defeated Trinity by the same margin, 2-1, last season at home
- GU last lost to Trinity, 5-1, on Sept. 10, 2011
- The loss snaps a three-game winning streak against the Tigers
"The first half was a good test for us. We weren't sure what to expect from Trinity. They have 10 freshmen, new to their team. We made a lot of mistakes but we were still in the game. This a great start [to the season] for us even in defeat." - Liza Offreda, Gallaudet women's soccer head coach
Gallaudet will host Notre Dame of Maryland University on Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 4 p.m. in the home opener for the Bison at Hotchkiss Field.