CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - The Gallaudet University women's soccer team found itself down two goals early on the road Wednesday evening against Wilson College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game.
Gallaudet (5-2, 1-1 NEAC) chipped away at the 2-0 deficit in the first half when freshman Danielle Wheeler (San Jose, Calif.) scored her 10th goal of the season on an unassisted shot past Wilson goalie Danielle Stafford (13 saves). The first goal for the Bison came 21 seconds after Wilson's Noemi Regan netted her second goal on the day.
The Bison knotted the game at 2-2 in the 28th minute when junior forward Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario) scored an unassisted goal, off a rebound, after Stafford made a save and failed to hold onto the ball. The two teams went into halftime squared two.
In the second half, both teams had chances but the game remained a tie until the 72nd minute when Mallach scored her second of the game as Gallaudet took its first lead in the game, 3-2.
Mallach completed the hat trick at the 88:15 mark on a third unassisted goal past Stafford.
Sophomore goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) made 12 saves in the win for GU.
- GU has won four of its past five games
- The Bison held a 24-20 edge in shots and outshot Wilson 13-8 in the second half
- Wilson took 10 corner kicks to GU's four attempts
- Mallach surpassed her career-high for goals in a season (10) with her hat trick
- Mallach now has 11 goals this season through seven games
- This was the fourth game this season Mallach has scored two or more goals
- Wheeler has scored goals in four of GU's seven games this season
- Wheeler led the team with 11 shots (eight shots on goal)
Gallaudet returns home and will host conference foe Penn St.-Berks (3-3-1, 2-0) this Saturday, Sept. 30, at 2 p.m. at Hotchkiss Field.