MARCY, N.Y. - Gallaudet University women's soccer made more team history here Saturday as the Bison defeated SUNY Poly for the first time in program history. The Bison scored two second-half goals to defeat the host Wildcats, 2-1, in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) showdown.
The Wildcats (1-9-1, 1-6 NEAC) scored the game's first goal in the 36th minute on a chip shot past Bison junior goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.). SUNY Poly took the 1-0 lead into halftime.
Gallaudet (5-6, 3-4 NEAC) responded in the second half with goals in the 67th and 74th minute.
SUNY Poly committed a foul in the goalie box to award GU a penalty shot at the 67:19 mark. Sophomore midfielder Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) converted the penalty shot opportunity with her second goal of the season.
Seven minutes later, freshman midfielder Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) passed a through ball to senior midfielder Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.), who dribbled around SUNY Poly goalie Alysia Thomas (eight saves) for the empty net goal.
- Both teams took 17 shots
- SUNY Poly held an edge over GU in corner kicks, 11-4
- Levesque made seven saves
- Senior forward Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario) led GU in shots with five
- This is the third straight year Gallaudet has played at SUNY Poly
- GU is 1-8 all-time vs. SUNY Poly
- Gallaudet's two goals are the most scored against the Wildcats since a 4-2 loss in 2011
Gallaudet returns home and will host SUNY Cobleskill (4-8, 1-5 NEAC) in a conference game next Saturday, Oct. 13, at noon.