WASHINGTON - Senior forward Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario) could not be stopped here Saturday afternoon as she recorded a hat trick to lead Gallaudet University to a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory over Wells College at Hotchkiss Field in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) women's soccer game.
Mallach scored her third goal in the 97th minute with a low shot past Wells goalie Kayleigh Hurley (eight saves) for the game-winner in extra time. Freshman midfielder Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) threw in the ball from the near sideline and got the ball into the goalie box. Sophomore midfielder Sharon Castillo (Dallas, Texas) redirected the ball right to the foot of Mallach, who buried the goal, and set-off a huge bench-clearing celebration for the Bison.
Gallaudet (4-5, 2-3 NEAC) celebrated its first win over Wells (1-8, 0-5 NEAC) since the 2010 season. The Bison were previously 1-7 vs. Wells as a NEAC member.
The two teams played to a 1-1 draw in the first half as the Express scored first, just six minutes in, before Mallach got the Bison on the scoreboard in the 30th minute off an assist from Castillo. Mallach blasted a 15-yard shot into the upper 90 of the Wells goal.
In the second half, Wells took a 2-1 lead when Mackenzie Powers scored her first goal of the season off an assist from Erin Persons in the 52nd minute.
GU responded five minutes later when Mallach scored her second goal of the game off an assist from Neild on a fast break goal.
- Junior goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) made seven saves in the win
- GU outshot Wells by two, 24-22
- Neild led the team with 12 shots (four on goal) while Mallach tallied seven shots (five on goal)
- The Bison took 10 corner kicks
- Mallach needs just three points to reach 100 career points
- GU has two other wins over Wells in 1999 and 2000 before the Bison became a varsity program
Gallaudet turns around to host Keuka College (6-3, 5-0 NEAC) tomorrow (Sunday, Sept. 30) at noon.