WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's swimming and diving team overwhelmed Penn St.-Altoona here Friday night in a 108-67 non-conference meet victory in the Field House Pool. The dual-meet victory was Gallaudet's first of the 2018-19 season.
Gallaudet (1-5) won seven of the 14 events against Penn St.-Altoona.
Senior Jana Kiefer (Leander, Texas) and junior Julia Miller-Notestone (Medford, Ore.) led the way with two individual first-place wins. Kiefer won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of three minutes and 2.27 seconds, a new personal best, placed first in the 200-yard breaststroke (3:25.90) and finished second in the 200-yard IM (3:00.26).
Miller-Notestone won the 200-yard backstroke with a personal best time of 2:25.80 and won the 500-yard freestyle (6:21.80) and finished second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:08.88).
Kiefer and Miller-Notestone were part of the first-place 200-yard medley relay team that won in 2:33.15 to begin the meet. GU made it a clean sweep in the relays when it closed out the meet with a first-place finish in the 400-yard freestyle (6:48.05).
Freshman Anna Gano (Lewiston, Idaho) took first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a new personal best time of 2:07.80.
- Junior Jessica Monroe (Senoia, Ga.) placed second in the 100-yard butterfly (1:21.84) and 1,000-yard freestyle (14:04.45)
- Freshman Breanna Power (Milton, Ontario) was second in the 50-yard freestyle (43.14) and third in the 200-yard freestyle (4:04.29)
- Sophomore Alyssa Castillo (Fresno, Calif.) finished second in the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events with times of 1:42.70 and 3:55.56, respectively
- Gano was second in the 200-yard breaststroke (4:44.36) and third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:43.88)
- Castillo was third in the 100-yard butterfly (2:20.77)
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 breaststroke||Anna Gano||2:14.43||2:07.80|
|200 backstroke||Julia Miller-Notestone||2:26.71||2:25.80|
|200 butterfly||Jana Kiefer||3:03.42||3:02.27|
Gallaudet will turn around and host Stevenson University tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 19) at 1 p.m. in the Field House pool.