BEREA, Ky. - The Gallaudet University women's track and field team placed sixth out of seven teams here Saturday on the second and final day of the the Atlantic Independent Championship hosted by Berea College.
The host Mountaineers won the meet with 184 points in 20 events. Piedmont College was second with 166 points followed by Methodist University (121). Pfeiffer University (59), Covenant University (47), Gallaudet (12) and Brevard College (seven).
Junior Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) set the school record in the pole vault as she cleared 1.85 meters to finish second and earn eight of GU's 12 team points. There was no previous school record in the pole vault. She was fifth in the high jump as she cleared 1.37 meters on her second to last jump. Shysh finished 12th out of 17 in the preliminaries of the 100-meter dash as she crossed the finish line in 13.62 seconds but did not make the cut for the finals.
Freshman Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) placed fifth in the javelin throw with a top toss of 22.83 meters.
Freshman Nia Ralston (Danville, Ky.) was seventh in the hammer as her best throw came on her fifth try and traveled 20.28 meters. Ralston finished 10th in the discus (16.94 meters) and 11th in the shot put (6.78 meters).
Freshman Carina Dominguez Can (Hillsboro, Ore.) had a pair of eighth place finishes in the discus (20.55 meters) and hammer (15.04 meters). She took 10th in the shot put with a top throw of 7.15 meters.
- Freshman Lynicia Maynard (Basseterre, St Kits Nevis) took 15th out of 17 in the preliminaries of the 100-meter dash (16.02)
- Junior Maydee Vande Hey (Little Chute, Wis.) was 17th in the 100-meter dash (16.68)
- Maynard was 21st out of 22 in the 200-meter dash (33.11)
- Sophomore Fatuma Ali (Tucson, Ariz.) placed 22nd in the 200-meter dash (33.22)
- Ali was 17th in the 400-meter dash (1:23.65)
- Junior Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) came in 21st out of 24 runners in the 800-meter run (2:56.22)
- Nguyen finished 18th in the 1,500-meter run (6:11.47)
- Junior Sonya Jillella (Atlanta, Ga.) ran a time of 3:44.03 in the 800-meter run to place 24th overall
- Jillella completed the 1,500-meter run in 7:22.47 to finish 24th
This concludes the 2018 outdoor track and field season for Gallaudet University.