SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - The Gallaudet University women's track and field team competed at the Paul Kaiser Classic here Saturday as two Bison student-athletes improved on their school records and several personal records were set. There were no team scores kept for this crowded meet.
Freshman Hannah Wetzel (Fremont, Calif.) cleared 1.58 meters (5 feet, 2.25 inches) in the high jump Saturday afternoon to set a new school record. Wetzel previously cleared 1.55 meters, last month at the Seahawk Track & Field Invitational in Wilmington, N.C., to tie the school record with Stephanie Hamilton, who set her mark on April 12, 1978, at the Tri-Meet in Frostburg, Md. Now, Wetzel owns the school record all to herself. She finished tied for seventh in the overall high jump standings on Saturday.
Senior Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) now owns the pole vault school record to herself as she cleared 2.55 meters (8 feet, 4.25 inches). Shysh and freshman Krista Kachnik (Henderson, Nev.) were tied at 2.45 meters after they set that two weeks ago at the Hopkins/Loyola Invitational. Shysh tied for 16th place in the pole vault competition on Saturday among a field of 23 that recorded a height.
Wetzel was sixth in the triple jump with a top jump of 10.69 meters and 21st in the long jump (4.85 meters).
Freshman Sierra Pratt (Katy, Texas) finished 14th in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 16:19.44.
In the field events, sophomore Carina Dominguez Can (Hillsboro, Ore.) set a career best in the hammer with a top toss of 21.49 meters to finished 41st overall. Sophomore Nia Ralston (Danville, Ky.) was right behind Dominguez Can in 42nd place (19.34 meters).
Dominguez Can was GU's top thrower in the discus as she placed 33rd (19.92 meters) followed by Ralston in 37th place (16.31 meters) and Tyler Mitchell (Perrysburg, Ohio) in 39th place (13.75 meters).
In the shot put, Mitchell was the top Bison thrower with a mark of 7.08 meters to finish 43rd just in front of Ralston in 44th place (6.72 meters).
- Shysh cleared 1.38 meters in the high jump to place 27th overall
- Shysh was 31st in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:10.57 and 43rd in the 100-meter dash (13.95)
- Sophomore Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) finished 33rd in the javelin (21.25 meters)
- Freshman Quanchen Warmack (Danville, Ky.) was 40th in the 100-meter hurdles prelims with a time of 22.41 while freshman Cassie Friday (Flinton, Pa.) was 41st (22.47)
- Sophomore Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) was 44th in the 1,500-meter run (6:20.57) followed by sophomore Faye Frez-Albrecht (Winsted, Conn.) in 46th place with a personal best time of 8:39.21
- Dominguez Can was 47th in the shot put (6.32 meters)
- Friday won her heat in the 200-meter dash with a time of 30.44 to finish 59th overall
- Warmack was 68th in the 200-meter dash (32.66)
- Freshman Kathy Romero (Broadway, N.Y.) set a personal record in the 200-meter dash as she crossed the finish line in 33.05 to finish 69th overall
- Nguyen was GU's top runner in the 800-meter run in 69th place (3:03.32)
This concludes the 2019 Gallaudet track and field season for the majority of the team. A select few student-athletes will continue training for the Swarthmore Last Chance Meet on Monday, May 13, at 4 p.m., as these Bison try and qualify for the 2019 NCAA Division III track and field championship.