GETTYSBURG, Pa. – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team began its 2015 season with a rousing 4-0 weekend at the Battlefield Classic hosted by Gettysburg College. The weekend also highlighted a career milestone for Head Coach Lynn Ray Boren, who won his 250th career match at Gallaudet in 11 seasons.
The Bison defeated Penn St.-Altoona (31-29, 25-15, 25-11) and Curry College (25-11, 25-16, 25-14) in straight sets on Friday night. Boren entered the 2015 season only needing one win to reach 250 in his career.
"It's no big deal," quipped Boren, when asked to comment on career win 250. "It is nice to reach a milestone like this but as I keep saying to myself I am just fortunate to coach this program for the past 10 years."
Gallaudet had a tough task on Saturday going up against Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and York (Pa.) College. The Bison began the day against the Tigers from RIT and after two sets were tied 1-1 as both teams won close 25-22 sets. Gallaudet then rallied and won the final two sets, 25-18, 25-14.
In the final match of the weekend, the Bison were pushed to the limits but came away with a five set win over the Spartans, 25-19, 25-20, 20-25, 19-25, 15-8.
- Senior setter TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) was named to the all-tournament team, she made 172 assists, eight service aces in 15 sets
- The Bison averaged 13.04 kills per set for the weekend
- Sophomore outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led the team with 47 kills in four matches
- Junior middle hitter Giuletta Maucere (Fishers, Ind.) led the team with 12 blocks (six block solos)
- Senior libero Kate Fetzer (Noblesville, Ind.) made a team-high 48 digs in 15 sets
"I am pleased to see the determined attitude in our team [this weekend], especially how they stepped up in both victories on Saturday. There is still a lot of room for us to work on things. I thought our defense was better while we still need to focus on our blocking positioning." Lynn Ray Boren, Gallaudet women's volleyball head coach
The Bison will travel to Towson, Md., on Thursday, Sept. 10, to take on the Goucher College Gophers at 7 p.m.