TOWSON, Md. - Gallaudet University made a short trip north Thursday night to face Goucher College here at the Decker Sports & Recreation Center and won the non-conference match in straight sets, 25-12, 25-21, 25-13.
The Bison improve to 5-0 to start the 2015 season, which ties the best start in program history under the direction of head coach Lynn Ray Boren now in his 11th season. GU started the 2011 season with five straight 3-0 wins before losing its next three matches at the Bulldog Classic in Texas.
Senior setter TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) passed out a match high 31 assists and 11 digs for the double-double. Sophomore outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) recorded a team best 12 kills on 29 attempts and added 10 digs for a double-double.
Goucher (2-5) drops its home opener and third straight match this season.
- The shutout is the third this season for Gallaudet
- This is the first time these two teams have met since Sept. 12, 2012
- Coach Boren is 6-0 all-time vs. Goucher
- Bison haven't dropped a set to the Gophers during the Coach Boren era
- Freshman Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) served up three of GU's seven aces
- Junior Giuletta Maucere (Fishers, Ind.) led the way with four blocks (three block assists)
- Senior Molly Perkins (Apple Valley, Minn.) added nine kills and five digs
Gallaudet will head out to Westminster, Md., on Saturday, Sept. 12, for two matches hosted by McDaniel College. The Bison will face the host Green Terror at Noon followed by a match against Pitt.-Greensburg at 2 p.m.